This is an introductory video that highlights the importance of geographic analysis and geospatial tools is solving real world problems.
- Let’s make a hand-drawn map (well, a digital version of a hand-drawn map) using a free ERSI tool, Sketch-a-Map.
- Here is good NY Times article on the importance of globes in the educational process and why there are less today then in previous generations.
- Even if you could dig a hole to the other side of the world, you wouldn’t end up in China. How could you find out where?
- Overlapping Maps helps to properly understand scale in a less familiar part of the Earth.
READING FOR THE EVENING:
- Article from the GIS community about the value of GIS. Please comment on the scoop.it page.
- Youtube video on Why scale matters:
- More on Scale (Corresponding readings from the Course Text: Chapter 2, Sections 3-15, 20, 28-30)
- Explore ArcGIS.com and the features that are available. Below is a tutorial video to help acquaint you with it’s features