One of the greatest aspects of the APHG reading is the professional networking, collaboration and sharing that happens with this enthusiastic set of high school and college educators. In addition to the fun evening activities, every year we also hold several professional development activities in the evening.
On Tuesday evening, June 6th, we had an incredibly dynamic guest speaker with a gift for making his research relevant to his audience. Chris McMorran talk was entitled, “Geographies of Home: producing home across scale in Japan and Singapore.” He generously provided the digital copy of his PPTx slides with his permission to use them in your classrooms ( High Resolution with multimedia-70 MB, Medium Resolution with multimedia-57 MB, Low Resolution without multimedia-15 MB).
On Wednesday evening, June 7th we had our annual “Night of the Round Tables” event. This event was designed to create a place to share new ideas, pick up lesson plans, discover new resources, and develop strategies for teaching geography. Presenters had 15 minutes to present. Below are the digital copies of the presentations and the handouts that they wanted to share:
- Amy Potter: Food Security
- Stephanie Hoffman: One-Minute Map video
- Eric Cain: Cultural landscape pictures analysis
- Penny Anderson: Song Stories Chemical Workers song
- Kim Schiller: Women’s Economic Empowerment Lesson Plan
- Annette Parkhurst: ARTICLE – Consumption Factor Jared Diamond, ARTICLE – Is farming the root of all evil, ARTICLE – The apple that never browns, ARTICLE -Worst Mistake in Human History, NOTE – Response to Green and Diamond, Taboo-Pictionary Review.
- Rik Katz: Industrial Revolution Powerpoint!, Industrialization game, Industrialization game & Analysis, industrialization SIM geo analysis, Microsoft PowerPoint – Industrial Revolution Powerpoint!, The Urban Game, Urban Game Instructions PowerPoint, Urban SIM updated 3-16-2017, Urban Game with Analysis.
- Dan Snyder: Flipped Classrooms in APHG
- Rebecca Roth: Inquiry chart assessment, Inquiry Question Cities, Inquiry Question Cities2, Inquiry Question, Inquiry Question2, Link #1, Link #2, Link #3, Link#4.
- Leslie Whitlow: Geography of Gender
- Mike Meyer: Vocab Power Pyramid
- Presenter: Space Shuttle Challenge Lesson Plan
- Robin Foster: Giant World Map
- Amy Stalker: my immigration DBQ, my urban DBQ
Thank you for sharing these resources and creating a culture of collaboration among geography teachers!