There are some great online resources for teaching and learning about the geography of South America as a subset of Latin America. Archived here are some of my favorites.
Squatter Settlements in South America:
- NY Times Video with article: Squatter on the Skyline (Venezuela) original here.
- EuroNews Video on Shantytown improvements (Rio de Janeiro)
- NY Times Video: Taming the City of God (Slums of Rio de Janeiro) original here.
- NPR podcast on Slum improvements coinciding with World Cup and Olympics (Rio de Janiero)
- Al Jazeera report of the connection between urban renewal and sports (Rio)original here.
- BBC report on Brazilian Economic Growth (“BRIC” countries ) original here.
- World Bank graphs showing Economic Disparities (with Brazil among the most unequal societies) original here.
- NY Times article on shrinking economic disparities (since 2001) original here.
- A USDA ERS (Economic Research Service) article titled, Can Brazil Meet the World’s Growing Need for Ethanol?
- An analysis of the differences between sugar cane ethanol (produced in Brazil) and corn-based ethanol (produced in the United States).
- The Economist (2012) article explains the impacts of the United States and Brazil eliminating ethanol tariffs.
- A 2009 PBS video clip (12 minutes) that evaluates the economic and environmental merits of corn ethanol.
- Al Jazeera notes how illegal gold mining is impacting political geography (Colombia) original here.
Leave a Reply